Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blueberry Bagels

I saw a recipe for an onion bagel. But the directions were for someone with a bread machine. So I wanted blueberry and I don't have a bread machine. So here is my take on bagels.

Blueberry Bagels


1 cup warm water (100-110 degrees)
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour

For Boiling

3 quarts water
4 tbsp honey
2 tsp salt



For Baking
1 egg for egg wash
(1 egg with 1tbsp water beat together)
 non-stick cooking spray or corn meal

Directions:

Add yeast, sugar, and salt to the warm water. Let it proof until foamy.

I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer and the dough hook for this next step. In your mixing bowl add the flour (I used 2 cups white unbleached flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour) Add the wet ingredients and kneed on medium speed for 8-10 min. Then add about 3/4 cup frozen blueberries or you can use dried. It will be easier to use dried fruit. Kneed until they become incorporated.

(I had to hand kneed some of the blueberries in by hand since the juice made the dough sticky)

Let rise in a warm place (to make sure the dough did not get too cold from the frozen blueberries, I cut on the oven on the lowest setting. Once it reached the temp, I cut it off covered the bowl and let it rise in there for 30-40 min.or until dough rises to about double in size.

(like I said if you use dried berries, it is a little easier and you don't have to watch the dough temp. I just wanted juicy berries in mine.)

Once dough has risen, separate it into 8 same size balls.

Flatten the dough balls out just a little and use your finger to poke a hole in the middle and stretch it out just a bit.

Cover with a towel and let rise for 5 min.

Boil water with the honey and salt

pull out a baking sheet and place parchment paper on it and spray with non-stick cooking spray or use corn meal if you have some. I used spray.


Once water comes to a boil, 2 at a time (only) add bagels. Boil for 30 sec. each side and remove with a slotted spoon.

Brush bagels with egg wash.

Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 min.











No comments:

Post a Comment